Slip and fall accidents affect millions of Americans every year. While some people get back up and brush themselves off, others are not so lucky. If you suffer serious injuries in a fall accident, seek medical attention immediately. Next, speak to an experienced Atlanta slip and fall lawyer. At the J. Stein Law Firm we carefully investigate your case, consult witnesses, and help you recover the damages you need to rebuild your life. We have defended these types of business in the past and know exactly how to win these claims.
Proving liability in a slip and fall case
A slip and fall accident can occur anywhere and virtually anyone can be a victim of a premises liability accident — young or old. However, there are certain elements you must establish to prove liability:
- Duty of care — First, you must show the property owner owed you a duty of care.
- Breach of duty — Next, you need to prove that through their actions or inactions, the property owner breached that duty of care.
- Causation — Here you must prove the property owners breach of duty caused your accident.
- Damages — Lastly, you must have suffered damages.
No two slip and fall cases are ever the same. The J. Stein Law Firm will review your slip and fall accident and determine the right path forward.
Types of slip and fall accidents
Property owners have a duty to ensure their premises are free of hazards. When a property owner fails to remove or fix dangerous conditions, visitors may slip and fall and sustain injury. Some common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Slippery floors from food spills
- Cluttered hallways and aisles
- Damaged stairways
- Poorly lit areas
- Uneven sidewalks
- Ice covered walkways, sidewalks, and parking lots
Slip and fall accidents may occur in retail stores, grocers, shopping malls, movie theaters, business offices, construction sites, nursing facilities and private homes. The J. Stein Law Firm has experience dealing with all of these types of places.
Slip and fall injuries
A slip and fall accident can also cause abrasions, broken bones/fractures, spine and neck injuries, paralysis, and even death. A successful injury claim can provide compensation for a wide range of damages including medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, funeral costs, and more.